Monday, March 4, 2013

Blog #4 Student suspended for shaping Pop-Tart into gun

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2993419/posts


The story of a seven year old boy who was suspended two days for shaping a pop tart into a gun and making gun sounds. It sound like what a seven year old kid would do and that is exactly why I think it was ridiculous that he was suspended. My reason is that we are a country living in feared where anything that shows even a tiny bit of violence can have consequences. I also feel like we are so paranoid now. Sure we been through tough time with the school shootings but it is taking it to the next level. The kid was just making a gun out of a pop tart. Is he hurting anyone? No. He is just being a kid. When I was young we used to play gun fight with each other using our fingers and no one said anything so why should it be now. Almost everyone and the author of the blog agree that they have gone too far. Another story like this is when a middle school student was told he had to turn his shirt inside out because the shirt he was wearing had two guns on it. The problem I have with it was even if he had guns on his shirt it was in support of the Marine Corps and I feel that it was really bizarre because once again we are living in feared. I could understand if both of these kids brought bb guns to school and got suspended but for a shirt and a pop tart?   

1 comment:

  1. I can definitely agree with this blog #4, I am still in shock that the seven year was suspended. What good does making him miss school, teach him about inappropriate behavior? Now I do think he should be talk to about the situation but suspension is going too far. And no the young boy didn’t hurt anyone with his “inappropriate gesture.” If students are well informed about gun safety and the correct procedures about what to look for in an actual gun threat then this situation would have never resulted in suspension.

    As far as the high school student having to turn his shirt inside out is absolutely ridiculous. Until schools start enforcing a real “dress code” meaning no cut-off shorts and baggy pants then I don’t want to hear about shirts supports Marine Corps. Furthermore I feel like if it’s that big of an issue than maybe mandatory uniforms should be implemented throughout the United States.

    ReplyDelete